Use of the Internet is increasing day by day with millions of website so as cyber crime is also increasing. It’s becoming tough to stay safe on the Internet these days due to increasing Spammers, scammers,hackers and cyber criminals.They are creating new methods to steal your identity, personal and financial information. To keep you safe on internet, I am sharing top 10 security tips to stay safe on internet. Use these tips for secure your computer at home and office.
- Keep your software updated– You should keep updating your operating system, antivirus application, browser, and other programs. Doing this can protect you from potential cyber-attacks. Because there are always vulnerabilities being discovered, setting the update automatically for all makes this easier.
- Use strong passwords – Always use strong and unique password for different types of accounts. Never use the same passwords for different accounts, because if hackers get password for your one account then they can compromise all your accounts at once. Don’t share your passwords with anyone and don’t write them on sticky notes near your computer.
- Download Files Carefully – Be careful while downloading files from untrusted websites because these websites can inject the adware, malware, and virus. Always use an excellent security purpose program or antivirus to scan downloaded files. Security programs ensure if the file is legitimate or as it was advertised.
- Avoid accessing secure information on Public Wi-Fi – Avoid tasks like banking, accessing and sending confidential data over a public Wi-Fi network. Insecure WiFi connections can leak personal data since they can be decrypted by cyber criminals. Also for your home and office network, Use a good VPN service instead of accessing through naked network. Some programs and website can track and monitor your activities on internet. VPN (Virtual Private Network) can help you in privacy protection.
- Don’t use unknown Data Drive – Don’t insert or connect non-reliable media carrier like CDs ,DVDs, USB, Hard disk drives in your computer because these mediums could contain worms and nefarious viruses. They can harm your computer system.
- Email security – Don’t ever enter personal information on a website provided as a link in an e-mail message. Some time spammers tries to get access to your personal information, password and banking details by sending you fake lottery winning emails, fake business offer emails. They use phishing website to get your login details and personal information. Never open such type of attachment files in an email and do not click on the like which is trying to convince you for lottery, banking transaction etc .Always use internet and email security program to be safe from fishy scams
- Don’t believe on Online Offer Ads – Don’t buy anything online without researching well about the seller. Some advertisements might trick you by offering things for free or for a price that is far low from the actual price of that merchandise or that you have won something as a way of collecting your personal/financial information in false survey or web form.
- Regular backups –Always have a backup your important data in a regular interval. Either back it locally on removable media like CD-ROM or DVD-ROM. you can upload your data backups to some good and safe cloud server which is available in free up tp 10 to 15 GB of storage.You have more data than 15 GB,you can buy more space on cloud server by spending few bucks only.
- Use two-factor authentications– Using two-step verification processes to secure email accounts or other digital assets. Whenever you or someone else tries to login into your account or websites, it asks to use your phone number to send you a pin code by SMS or call to ensure that only you have access of your email or website account..
- Stay up to day on latest security tips and tools for using internet – Most importantly, stay informed and . Keep reading the latest news and blog post about the latest developments for Windows, Macintosh Linux, and Unix systems.
Latest posts by Rohit Sharma (see all)
- How To make Money Online – eCommerce Marketing Guide - August 19, 2017
- How to work as an Intrapreneur at Large Corporations in digital age? - August 11, 2017
- WORDPRESS VS JOOMLA VS DRUPAL WEBSITE – CMS COMPARISON CHART - August 6, 2017