For a successful business, both leadership and management is important and needed, People are mostly confused in the terms ‘manager’ and ‘leader and they use the terms “manager” and “leader” interchangeably. Every entrepreneur should know either he is a good leader or a good manager. For example, someone is a born leader, but by knowing his traits but he can improve managing skills and can become a good manager too and vice versa. Naturally not all managers are good leaders and all leaders are not good managers but it can be done by continuous improvement.
Entrepreneur needs leadership and management skills to achieve their vision of success. With smaller organizations, the challenge lies in making sure you are both leading your team as well as managing your day-to-day operation. Those who are able to do both will create a competitive advantage.
There is the difference between and leader, below some common traits are given for leaders and managers.
Leader and Leadership
- Leadership is about getting ideas and believing in your vision and to work with facing challenge to achieve his goals.
- Leader originates, innovates & develops.
- Leader understands & focuses on people.
- Leaders do the right things
Manager and Management
- Management is about administering and focusing on systems and structure to make sure things are happening as they should.
- The manager administers maintains and controls
- Manager has short-range view and they focus on day-to-day activity.
- The manager controls people to fulfill the bottom line.
- The managers do things right
Without efficient management, leader risks in maintaining the direction at the current rate or level. Similarly, management without effective leadership will affect current day-to-day activities and goals.
Entrepreneurs who wants to achieve strong results for their organization, both leadership and management need to be present.